Computational Immunology Scientist
DxTerity is looking for a highly motivated, experienced computational biologist/data scientist with a strong immunology and expression analysis background to analyze and interpret computational results within their biological context. The candidate will be responsible for analyzing genomic data sets to demonstrate the analytical and clinical validity of diagnostic tests. Candidates with a strong knowledge of blood-based genomics are preferred as well as a strong understanding of the state of the art of RNA expression and NGS analysis methods. The candidate must be comfortable with R, Perl, or Python, and willing to learn other tools as needed. The candidate must be hands-on and comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic company. Excellent writing, verbal communication and organizational skills are critical. Knowledge of database creation and maintenance (SQL, PostegreSQL, etc…) is a positive.
Role and Responsibilities: Reports to the VP Clinical Development.
- Perform analyses of datasets to understand the distribution and changes of transcriptional signatures in patient populations with immune-related disease and therapy response.
- Establish processes for rapid analysis of clinical data.
- Form conclusions and hypotheses from data analysis to assist in development of clinical studies to validate these findings.
- Work to establish the clinical utility of genomic tests through analysis of prospective, retrospective and public databases.
- Foster collaborations with KOLs, vendors, and collaborators that bring leading edge data analysis capabilities into DxTerity.
- Author and/or work with others to develop publications and marketing materials based on the results of the genomic studies.
- Represent the company and present at conferences and to customers.
- Provide updates and status reports to senior management on a regular basis; report on performance against plan.
- Manage databases that include clinical information and molecular testing results.
Education, Certification/Licensing and Experience:
- Understanding of immunology and a strong understanding of computational biology
- MS, MD or PhD degree in immunology field preferred
- Computational biology and/or bioinformatics expertise
- Experience in NGS and microarray data analysis with at least three years of hands-on and relevant experience analyzing RNA sequencing and microarray data sets.
- Knowledge of and experience in experimental design.
- Strong understanding of statistics and statistical methods.
- Experience with database creation and management preferred.
Language Skills: Must be proficient in written and verbal communication in the English language.
- Exhibit ethical behavior.
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Solid time management skills
- Ability to routinely interact with all levels of the company (i.e. CEO, President, VPs, Directors, Managers, Engineers, Supervisors, Technicians, Operators)
- Organizational, planning and detail follow-up skills.
- Ability to understand complex scientific concepts.
Mathematical Skills: Should be very strong in statistics and analysis of scientific data.
Reasoning Ability: Good investigative techniques for problem solving, judgment and decision making skills are required.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Work entails regularly performing tasks while working at a computer, desk, laboratory bench, or automated machine. Work may involve occasional climbing or balance. Work entails occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds.
The employee’s sensory modalities (vision, hearing, smell) and physical capabilities (ambulation without mechanical assistance, strength, coordination, dexterity, range of motion) must be sufficient to independently perform duties/functions of the position.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This position will involve a combination of office and biotechnology laboratory environments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to hazardous chemicals, blood borne pathogens, automated equipment, and high levels of noise and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.