Staff/Senior Scientist, Bioinformatics
DxTerity (www.dxterity.com) is in need of a Computational Biologist who has the ambition and knowledge to create breakthroughs in this exciting market. The candidate will be responsible for analyzing genomic data sets and working with a team of scientists to develop new diagnostic tests. The candidate should be well versed in analyzing RNA-sequencing and microarray datasets. The candidate should be hands on and comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic company. The candidate must be results-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to work efficiently to achieve time-sensitive milestones.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide disease, modeling, and data analysis expertise to healthcare related projects.
- Develop and validate new methods, provide troubleshooting, maintenance, and improvement for bioinformatics pipelines.
- Provide bioinformatics support, analyze and interpret NGS data, evaluate results, and form conclusions.
- Plan, manage, and execute assigned projects utilizing established best practices and/or innovative procedures, applying knowledge and accumulated experience to complete projects to deliver results as efficiently as possible within set deadlines.
- Document work results, prepare reports and/or company presentations. Documentation must be clearly understandable to the target audience and compliant with requirements of regulatory agencies and/or protection of company intellectual property.
- Develop a good understanding of competing technologies and new technical advances so as to effectively utilize current best practices and devise robust solutions to technical problems.
- Ensure activities are consistent with project critical path, respond appropriately to changing priorities. Manage activities and assigned projects to reach agreed objectives.
- Work closely with team members in a collaborative environment, as well as an independent contributor.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biology, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics or related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience analyzing RNA sequencing and microarray data sets.
- Experience in design and development of algorithms and data analysis pipelines for biomarker discovery and molecular diagnostics tests.
- Strong background in data analysis and statistical modeling of biological data.
- Strong software engineering skills in bioinformatics, datamining, experience working with omics databases and networks.
- Proficient with open source tools for RNASeq data analysis (e.g. STAR, HISAT, Bowtie2).
- Comfortable with Linux/Unix and at least one of the following: R, Perl, or Python.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills. Ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities under tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and solve problems.
- Ability to work as an independent contributor with a limited supervision as well as in a collaborative team environment, among cross-departments.
- Experience in high performance computing and storage systems.
- Background in molecular biology and genomics is a plus.
- Previous experience working in a commercial setting is a plus.
- Experience in network infrastructure is a plus.
- Knowledge of QSR-compliant environment a plus.
- Must be proficient in reading, writing, and communicating in the English language.