Purpose of the Position:
California-licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) specializing in molecular biology techniques, responsible for performing and maintaining high complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens, interpreting and reporting patient results, performing quality control and quality assurance procedures, and complying with all applicable local, state and federal laboratory requirements.
- Performance of laboratory tests, procedures and analyses according to DxTerity standard operating procedures.
- Performance of standard molecular biology techniques such as RNA isolation, PCR, analysis by capillary electrophoresis, etc.
- Performance, review, and documentation of laboratory quality procedures.
- Preparation and qualification of reagents used for laboratory testing.
- Review, interpretation and reporting of the testing results.
- Identifying and remedying problems that adversely affect test performance.
- Reporting all test quality and safety concerns to the management.
- Ensuring one’s own proper training and competency with the appropriate documentation.
- Review and oversight of non-licensed technicians.
- Laboratory environmental monitoring and documentation.
- Perform routine laboratory tasks, such as lab and cold storage organization, clean-up, equipment maintenance and basic calibration, ordering and stocking of supplies, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed.
- Adjust work schedule to meet time-sensitive project milestones.
Education, Certification/Licensing, and Experience:
- BA, BS, or MS in Molecular Biology, Genetics, or related life sciences field.
- Valid California CLS license (generalist or CGMBS) is required.
- 1-4 years of related hands-on experience with molecular biology laboratory techniques in a regulated laboratory environment is required.
- Experience in laboratory information management systems is desired.
- Experience in using laboratory automation and associated programming is desired.
- Thorough knowledge of GLP, CLIA and HIPAA regulations governing handling and testing of patient samples in a clinical lab.
- Knowledge of safety precautions required for working with blood borne
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Detail-oriented and thorough. Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize, and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Dependability, following instructions, responding to management direction, completing tasks on time or notifying appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Ability to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events, maintaining composure while working under pressure.
- Ability to work with a limited supervision as well as in a collaborative team setting.
- Strong interpersonal skills that foster a positive environment.
- Technical writing skills to document results, produce reports, and other documents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Ability to interpret and summarize experimental results in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
- Solid computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- High-standard GLP conduct in the lab. Working in a biohazard environment, practicing good safety habits.
- Good judgment at all times when determining what action to take when resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work entails regularly performing tasks while working at a computer, desk, laboratory bench or automated machine. Work in laboratory or operational areas containing biohazardous materials. Work may involve occasional climbing or balance. Work entails occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds.
The employee’s sensory modalities (vision, hearing, smell) and physical capabilities (ambulation without mechanical assistance, strength, coordination, dexterity, range of motion) must be sufficient to independently perform duties/functions of the position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will involve a combination of office and biotechnology laboratory environments. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hazardous chemicals, blood-borne pathogens, automated equipment, and high levels of noise and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.